Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Thing 15

Libraries Learning 2.0
I read each of the links. I found most of the information very to the point. However, the one that most makes sense was the "iceberg theme" (http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/2.htm).

As the technology to gather and maintain information has changed, libraries have remained - for the most part - the "Medieval Castle" of our time. They collect books it seems that as the population increases, has little or no interest in reading. But would prefer to watch a movie or "surf the web".

Let me pose a thought - If I read a book a week, BUT, do not surf the web in that time, will I have "read" more or less than if I had surfed for that same week. I would venture to say that, I, myself, would probably read more on the web than in a book. I find I cannot "make" the time to read a book, but I can surf, 5 - 10 minutes, several times a day, but have difficulty reading a book, even if it is about any of my most enjoyable interests. But, surfing and reading a multitude of interests, for me, that is more relaxing than a book.

No comments: